Fire Safety – Some Tips
Tags: Adult, Advice and Insight, Awareness/Education
By Elisa Gaffney
Social Services Case Manager for Chester County
Eric Wachter from Minquas Fire Station #2, Downingtown Fire Department, was a recent guest at the Chester County Sight Loss Support Group.
He talked about fire safety and gave some helpful hints for people to be prepared before and during a fire. He also talked about fire prevention tips:
Before the Fire or Incident
· Identify exits and plan two escape routes
· Install and check smoke alarms; checks should be done every three months
· Live or be near known exits such as hallways
· Close doors, especially those near stairways and bedrooms
During the Fire
· GET OUT and STAY OUT!
· Test doors before opening
· Stay low and go
· Trapped? Call out for help and head toward an alternative escape route
· Stop, drop, and roll
· Cooking – Use lids on pans
· Electrical safety – Do not plug high-voltage objects to extension cords, keep all cords away from water and clothing
· Smoke outside
· Check heating systems and fireplaces regularly
Click here to read more detailed fire safety tips.